Mareer Chowk tunnel project to be completed by March 15

RAWALPINDI: Mareer Chowk tunnel project will be completed until March 15, as nearly 40 percent work on the project has been completed, while the remaining 60 percent will be completed by the deadline, Member of National Assembly (MNA) Malik Shakeel Awan said on Wednesday.

He said this during a visit to the site to inspect the construction work. He directed the officers concerned to accelerate the pace of work. The MNA said that earlier, the project’s completion date was Mar 31, which was being completed with Rs 430 million. “Both the tunnels on Murree Road under the railway bridge are being widened and will be made 65-feet-wide to ease traffic congestion at the square.” He said that the project would be completed within the shortest possible timeframe so that citizens could be provided relief. Shakeel Awan said that the project would help resolve traffic problems on one of the busiest squares of the town. After the construction of new tunnels on both sides, the square would become signal-free. appSource: http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2013\01\10\story_10-1-2013_pg11_6