After facing severe criticism from the residents over losses of several lives on high-speed avenues, the city fathers have woken up to build pedestrian underpasses in the city to ensure walkers’ safety.
Besides a pedestrian crossing, the underpasses would also be used for commercial activity as CDA would also construct shops underground as a permanent source of revenue generation.
The tentative estimated cost of the individual project is to the tune of Rs75 million to Rs85 million that is designed to have shockproof solid structure besides having provision of commercial activities.
In order to minimise disruption of traffic flow at proposed sites, the CDA has planned to execute the work using pre-fabricated technology or tunnel form technology.
Earlier, the CDA has also decided to construct the same underpasses close to Abpara Market but the security agencies had objected as the facility could prove a security hazard and the project was shelved.
Currently, the CDA has installed a pedestrian signal near Saudi-Pak Tower but it would be removed as part of its plan to upgrade the avenue as signal-free. Work on the project has already been initiated.
According to Islamabad Police, around two or three hit-and-run incidents take place in Islamabad with majority of them on main avenues like Islamabad Expressway, Kashmir Highway and Jinnah Avenue.
Last week, also a pedestrian and a taxi-driver lost their lives in an accident at Zero Point but the city administration as well as the Islamabad Traffic Police is turning a blind eye.
Talking to APP, Prime Minister’s Task Force Chairman Faisal Butt said in an endeavour to make Islamabad one of the most beautiful capitals of the world, the lives of pedestrians cannot be put at risk.
He quoted the prime minister’s idea of not turning Islamabad as city of elite rather it should accommodate all classes of society equally.
- Plea to CDA office’s conversion into commercial plot dismissed (propertiesinpakistan.pk)
- CDA told to expedite development of Sector I-11 (propertiesinpakistan.pk)
- PCB to build international cricket stadium in Islamabad (indiavision.com)
- CDA pledges to make Islamabad a ‘model city’ (propertiesinpakistan.pk)
- IHC stays allotment of plots to CDA officers (propertiesinpakistan.pk)
- 10 worst intersections in Islamabad (pakistanink.wordpress.com)
- CDA set to sell off Margalla Towers plot (nation.com.pk)
- CDA directed to start development in Sector I-15 (propertiesinpakistan.pk)
- CDA ‘gifts’ over 106 acres of land (nation.com.pk)
- Land compensation case CDA on the verge of facing contempt (propertiesinpakistan.pk)