The two markets are the oldest and busiest business centres in the capital but they are fast becoming a source of nuisance for shoppers and traders. Encroached pavements have made it harder for visitors to walk through the corridors of these markets, while civic authorities have turned a blind eye to the plight of these markets.A number of visitors criticised the authorities for not taking action against the shopkeepers who had encroached upon the corridors and footpaths of the markets.
Azmat Malik, a visitor, said it had become a nuisance to shop at Melody and Aabpara markets.
“I live in G-6 and it is convenient for me to shop at these markets. But their condition is worsening, making it hard for me to continue shopping here.”
He said shopkeepers and vendors had not only encroached upon the pavements, but also the corridors in front of shops. “Shopkeepers allow encroachers to occupy space in front of their shops as they get money in return,” he added.
Naeem Asghar, another shopper, complained about poor sanitary conditions of the markets where sewage keeps on gushing out of drains. “Each time I visit the market, I have to face a similar situation where pounds of stinky water obstruct the movement of visitors,” he said.
Car parking is another major problem being confronted by visitors who have to wait for hours to get a space to park their vehicles.
“It takes a lot of time to roam around and find a place for parking,” said a motorist, Saleem. app
- Three clinics sealed (nation.com.pk)
- Rs114m okayed for water supply (nation.com.pk)
- CDA pledges to make Islamabad a ‘model city’ (propertiesinpakistan.pk)
- You: DPC holds anti-US rally in Islamabad (nation.com.pk)
- President chairs meeting over Karachi’s extortion problem in Islamabad (pakistannationalnews.com)
- Islamabad face Sindh in U-14 Soccer final (nation.com.pk)
- PIFRA Islamabad Careers Opportunities (papersblog.com)
- SIC demands Islamic varsity in Islamabad (nation.com.pk)
- ‘Islamabad compensating thru more critical nukes’ (nation.com.pk)
- Monal, Islamabad, Pakistan (eimaan.wordpress.com)
- Crackdown against encroachments in Wah warned (nation.com.pk)
- Vendors return to encroach upon Nandhi Kovil Street (thehindu.com)
- Overflowing footpaths, a challenge to pedestrians (thehindu.com)
- Out with the new, in with the old: why KMC’s parking plaza is a bad decision (pakistannationalnews.com)
- Encroachments, illegal lots vex road users (nation.com.pk)
- Encroachments: bane of citizens (nation.com.pk)
- City police to crack the whip on illegal parking (thehindu.com)
- Encroachers warned (nation.com.pk)
- Thiyagi Kumaram Market in bad shape (thehindu.com)
- Anti-encroachment drive starts (nation.com.pk)