KARACHI: Fate of the Karachi Development Authority (KDA) is yet to be decided despite the restoration of
The KDA had been operational and looking after the land and revenue issues across the city before the introduction of Sindh Local Government Ordinance (SLGO) 2001. However, as the SLGO 2001 came into practice, KDA became defunct and it was included as a wing in CDGK’s Land & Revenue Department.
EDO Land & Revenue Department was authorised to issue directives to the Land Acquisition Cell (LAC) in connection of any anti-encroachment operation.
In the light of the restoration of commissionerate system, the KDA should be activated on its previous status, but the clarification about the fate of KDA has not yet been decided. Senior official in defunct Land & Revenue Department told Daily Times that the working of the department had come to a halt as the CDGK became defunct and KDA was not yet activated.
He feared that the number of acres of land, which have been recovered from the land grabbers, would be encroached again as the fate of the department hung in the balance. He said that the department had not conducted a single raid against the land grabbers in a week or so, as the department existed without head. He further said that the EDO Revenue previously used to give directives to conduct raids at any specific location. Meanwhile, sources told this scribe that the department might be merged in KMC there would be a lot of time required to appoint the head and governing body of the department.
- CDGK declares Shahrah-e-Faisal model corridor (propertiesinpakistan.pk)
- Lala Fazl to remain CDGK administrator (nation.com.pk)
- Commissionerate system restored in sindh (aaj.tv)
- KESC seeks Rs0.74 per unit tariff increase (pakistannationalnews.com)
- Local government system: Strike in Sindh, 5 killed in Karachi (pakistannationalnews.com)
- No let up in Karachi violence, 6 more killed (aaj.tv)
- Local government system: Strike in Sindh, 8 killed, several vehicles torched in Karachi (pakistannationalnews.com)
- LG system, commissioners, DCs notified (nation.com.pk)
- One person burnt alive as seven vehicles set ablaze in Karachi (pakistannationalnews.com)
- Rangers powers extended for 3 months in Karachi (aaj.tv)