THATTA, Oct 26: The revenue department, in an attempt to acquire land for its project of Zulfikarabad in the coastal area of Thatta district, has cancelled property deeds of another 150,000 acres of private land, declaring its ownership as suspicious and bogus.
A number of villages, mosques and graveyards exist on the land.
According to locals, the land in question will be sold to foreign investors for establishment of multinational companies and residential projects in Zulfikarabad.
It has further been learnt that the revenue department plans to incorporate ruins of ancient ports and some archaeological sites in the land being allocated for the project after declaring them revenue property.
Activists of the Jeay Sindh Qaumi Mahaz, along with farmers who have lost their land to the Zulfikarabad plan, demonstrated in Chuhar Jamali on Wednesday.
The demonstrators, who were carrying party flags and shouting slogans, staged a sit-in on Sujawal-Chuhar Jamali road, causing suspension of traffic.
Basheer Khan Qureshi, chairman of the JSQM, alleged that the cancellation of property deeds of over 200,000 acres of land belonging to local growers was a conspiracy to convert the locals into a minority.
He said the locals had been holding the land for centuries and would never allow such conspiracies to succeed.
Mr Qureshi said a sit-in would be staged outside the DCO office in Makli if the cancelled plots were not restored within a week.
- Nationalists fume at JSQM chiefs arrest (nation.com.pk)
- JSQM calls Strike over detention of Bashir qureshi (aaj.tv)
- JSQM Chairman Bashir Qureshi arrested in Karachi (nation.com.pk)
- JSQM chief sent on 4-day remand (nation.com.pk)
- PPP plotted to kill me (nation.com.pk)
- JSQM chief sent on judicial remand (aaj.tv)
- Chinese Company offers Economic Zone in Zulfikarabad (Pakistan) without taking Profit for 15 years (pakistanchinafriendship.wordpress.com)
- Now it’s United States’ turn to do more: Gilani (aaj.tv)
- You: President for boosting Pak-China trade (nation.com.pk)
- You: President urges for further enhancing Pak-China bilateral trade, investment cooperation (nation.com.pk)
- You: JSQM leader Bashir Qureshi released on bail (nation.com.pk)
- JSQM Chairman Bashir Khan Qureshi Arrested (epakistannews.com)
- JSQM chairman Bashir Khan Bail accepted (epakistannews.com)