On the other hand the public is facing problems in traffic movement due to the construction work because they have no idea about any diversion plan and the authorities have failed to place any diversion signs ahead of the construction site to guide public.
The Chief Traffic Officer (CTO) Muhammad Abbas Tarar admitted poor traffic flow due to construction work near Benazir Bhutto Hospital. “The motorists would face difficulties for the next three months on this section of the road due to construction work,” he added.
He said, “We have formed a new traffic diversion plan that traffic coming from Mareer Chowk would divert to Asghar Mall Chowk and then turn on Saidpur Road and finally re-emerge on Murree Road from Sixth Road. While traffic coming from Islamabad would divert to Sadiqabad and appear at Ali Chowk, Rawal Road, Chah Sultan, Tipu Road and finally re-emerge at Muree Road from Sir Syed Road.”
He said, “We have demanded 12feet space (service road) from both sides at Chandni Chowk flyover place to run 35 per cent traffic flow. We would ply 35 per cent traffic at both sides of flyover Chandni Chowk and other 65 per cent traffic would be diverted to the alternate routes.”
Punjab Highways and Roads Sub-Engineer Inamullah Farooq said that Punjab government has released all funds for the construction work of flyover and they would complete the work in given timeframe. “National Logistic Cell (NLC) has started construction work of flyover,” he added. Commenting on construction work of underpass at Choor Chowk, he said that it could not be started due to shortage of funds.
He said that they would fully cooperate with traffic authorities for smooth traffic flow, but motorists should follow traffic diversion plan to avoid problems.
National Logistic Cell (NLC) Incharge Colonel Farooq Ahmed Ashraf said that they have started mobilisation work at the construction site. “Different departments including Wapda, Wasa, telephone and gas departments have started moving their assets from the construction site,” he added. He also said that the NLC would fully cooperate with traffic authorities in maintaining smooth flow of traffic.
Commissioner Rawalpindi Division Captain (r) Zahid Saeed directed administrator Rawal Town to visit all the proposed alternate routes and remove all kinds of encroachments. He also directed Highway department to make diversion sign boards and place them at the diversion points as well as three to four kilometres before these points for public convenience.
- CM to lay foundation stone of flyover at Rawal Chowk (propertiesinpakistan.pk)
- Lahore: CM opens Kalma Chowk flyover (propertiesinpakistan.pk)
- NLC awarded two projects without bidding (propertiesinpakistan.pk)
- Modern traffic signal system installed at 21 intersections (nation.com.pk)
- Kalma Chowk: ‘To Lahore, happy Independence Day’ (pakistannationalnews.com)
- Quebec construction work stoppages continue (cbc.ca)
- Traffic problem aggravated following closure of sole flyover in Quetta (pakistannationalnews.com)
- National Logistic Cell Rawalpindi Careers 2011 (papersblog.com)
- Hapless commuters blame RDA (nation.com.pk)
- Man Thought to Be Gacy Victim Found Alive (foxnews.com)
- Pakistan shuts to mourn Nusrats death (nation.com.pk)
- Nusrat Bhutto passes away (aaj.tv)
- Begum Bhutto Laid to be rest in Garhi Khuda Bakhsh (epakistannews.com)
- Begum Bhutto struggle for democracy at Pakistan Mission (epakistannews.com)
- Nusrat Bhutto to be buried in ancestral graveyard of Bhuttos (aaj.tv)
- Quran Khawani held for Begum Nusrat Bhutto (aaj.tv)
- PPP Mother Nusrat Bhutto died in Dubai (epakistannews.com)