KOHAT, Sept 21: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government has decided to sell 58,225 acres of land in Jarma area of Kohat to its present occupants living illegally there since 1970 and the formal notification in this regard will be issued soon, said MPA Iqbal Din Fana while speaking at a public meeting at Jarma village here on Wednesday.
The MPA, who is also chairman of district development advisory committee, Kohat, said that he had contested the 2008 elections despite the boycott by his Jamaat-i-Islami party to resolve the problems of people of his PF-39 constituency.
He said that getting the land ownership rights for the people of Jarma was on his priority list, as the people had convinced him on contesting the polls for raising voice for their rights.
The land was first leased out by the British rulers to the local Banoori family in 1886 and then the lease was renewed several times for agriculture purpose between 1953 and 1973. However, since 1973 the lease had not been renewed by any government.Mr Fana said that Chief Minister Ameer Haider Khan Hoti had informed him that the Jarma land would be distributed among the local residents soon. The committee earlier formed by the present government to resolve the issue had submitted its report to the chief minister for allotment of the government land at the price between Rs100,000 and Rs110,000 per Jareeb (four kanals).
There are about 10,000 occupants who have constructed houses on the agricultural government land in the Jarma village. A large population of tribesmen from Orakzai Agency and other parts of the region are also residing there.
Former nazim of union council Jarma, Dr Tehseen, Haji Shah Wali and Maulana Mohammad Kamal also attended the public meeting.
- Kohat Forest Division Jobs 2011 (papersblog.com)
- Hunarmand Rozgar Scheme in KP (nation.com.pk)
- 370 teams to administer anti polio drops to 157,000 children (aaj.tv)
- Former army officer abducted, killed in Kohat (aaj.tv)
- Provinces politics picks pace in Hazara (nation.com.pk)
- 15 higher education institutions in KPK facing financial crunch (pakistannews.com.pk)
- Govt accused of selling state land dirt cheap (propertiesinpakistan.pk)
- Retired colonel killed in Kohat (nation.com.pk)
- More rains likely in Punjab during next 48hrs (aaj.tv)
- 8 militants killed in Orakzai operation (nation.com.pk)