LAHORE, Sept 8: The Punjab cabinet on Thursday withdrew discretionary quota of the governor regarding the allotment of land to people, and once again doubled the rates of fines over traffic violations, official sources said.
The decisions were taken while approving amendments to the Disposal of Land by Developing Authorities (Regulations) Act and the Motor Vehicle Ordinance.
Sources said Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif who presided over the meeting rejected a proposal by the law department to start using the discretionary quota of allotment of lands being withdrawn from the governor.
The withdrawn share of the governor would be included in the overall merit based quota for general public.
Sources said the governor was given the quota during the martial law of Gen Musharraf in the absence of the office of the chief minister.
Another main decision regarding the allotment of land was to give two per cent share to the heirs of those police officials who die in the line of duty in the overall five per cent quota for the destitute.
Meanwhile, the cabinet allowed restoration of the amounts of fines for violation of different traffic rules to the status of 2007.
The rates were drastically reduced in 2008 in view of a strike by transporters who had termed them unjust and beyond their reach.
The decision to restore the previous rates (almost double than the existing ones) was taken with the view that this would deter the road users from violating traffic rules.
The bills containing the decisions about the allotment of land and traffic fines were approved by the cabinet and they would be tabled in the provincial assembly for approval.
- PM ignorant of special courts (nation.com.pk)
- PTI asks Shahbaz Sharif to resign (nation.com.pk)
- Opposition Leader levels charges against Punjab CM (nation.com.pk)
- None praised during Aashiyana meeting (nation.com.pk)
- Shahbazs dengue SOS to WHO (nation.com.pk)
- Centre delayed Punjab projects (nation.com.pk)
- Paramedics threaten march on Lahore (nation.com.pk)
- Raja blames CM for abduction of slain Taseers son (nation.com.pk)
- Shahbaz Taseer still missing after 9 days (aaj.tv)
- Agreement inked between BoP and Suzuki Motors (nation.com.pk)
- Zardari out to annihilate Pakistan: Shahbaz Sharif (nation.com.pk)
- Shahbaz Sharif in Ashiana Housing Scheme Faisalabad (propertiesinpakistan.pk)
- Shahbaz opens kitty to dengue drugs, kits (nation.com.pk)
- Desperate father seeks CMs help (nation.com.pk)
- Flood rehabilitation: Govt scheme only allots land to Muslims (pakistannationalnews.com)
- Shahbaz orders temporary hospitals in Sindh (nation.com.pk)
- FIA, Punjab police launch probe into Shahbaz Taseer’s abduction (aaj.tv)